U.S. Naval Observatory Flagstaff - 1.0-m Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

The 1.0-m Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

1.0-m RC Telescope

This telescope, completed in 1934, is the largest and last Ritchey-Chretien telescope designed and built by George W. Ritchey. Originally located at the main Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C., increasingly bright urban skies led to its relocation to Flagstaff and the establishment of the Flagstaff Station in 1955. This was the telescope used in the pioneering work on the polarization of starlight by Hall and Mikesell. The Pyrex optics were replaced with fused quartz in 1969. Today this telescope is used for a variety of imaging and photometric programs by the Flagstaff Station staff.

Telescope Data


Instrumentation


Current Research Programs



Return to the USNOFS Telescopes Page.
Last modified: 25 January 1998